This program will be rescheduled for the Fall.
THE BASICS- Our Name, Who we Target, Program Focus
- Supplemental nutrition assistance program in NYS is called ‘Eat Smart NY!’
- All residents with incomes at or below poverty (185%) with primary focus of 130% or below;
- All youth and families attending schools with > 50% free or reduced meals ( all Syracuse city schools; grocery stores with high SNAP benefit receipts, low income census tracts.)
We help participants to EAT HEALTHY FOR LESS And HELP IMPROVE HEALTH BEHAVIORS
- Shop for and prepare healthy, whole food using MyPlate guidance
- Stretch food budgets by planning meals, comparing prices and reducing convenience and
- Fast foods
- Improve food choices- eat more vegetables and fruits, more whole grain and low fat dairy
- And consume less sugar, salt and fat.
- Be more physically active and reduce screen time (TV, computers/games)
REGIONAL FOCUS WILL AIM TO COORDINATE PROGRAM DELIVERY, SOCIAL MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA ACROSS 8 COUNTIES
- We will have a regional Snap- Ed website by the fall of 2015
- Our key nutrition messages will be posted daily via social media, print and electronic newsletters, and select radio stations across the Region
- Our partners will be linked to our websites and receive Calendar of events and key updates.
OUR PROGRAM PARTNERS ARE KEY TO HELP US REACH AND TEACH SNAP ELIGIBLE RESIDENTS. OVER 60 across the Region; Over 25 in Onondaga County and Growing!
- DSS and workforce development programs (JOBS PLUS, EOC)
- Syracuse City School District and City Parks (Programs offered in > 20 sites!)
- Community based organizations, public health offices
- WIC, Head start and PEACE family resource centers, and food pantries
- Libraries, churches, parks and school and community gardens, farmers markets
PROGRAM IMPACT! Snap Ed makes a difference! For every 1$ spent on nutrition education, up to 10$ are saved in long term health care costs.
- In 2014, > 5,000 reached through workshops, cooking programs, through grocery store tours, after school and summer programs- Onondaga county alone
- 90 % increased consumption of fruits, vegetables and/ whole grains
- 80% drank fewer sugar sweetened beverages: 15% stopped drinking them and > water
- 60% reported being physically active for 30 minutes more days each week
WE ARE HELPING TO CHANGE POLICIES TO CREATE HEALTHIER ENVIRONMENTS
During 2015 we are helping schools adopt healthier lunchrooms ; assisting Syracuse City Parks to adopt new policies so that all food choices at their centers will be healthy food options and to teaching nutrition education at school and community gardens.
New Pest Management Information site for people looking for pesticide training, recertification, and exams
The NYSDEC Bureau of Pest Management is replacing their current database systems with a new, web-based application called NYSPAD (New York State Pesticides Administration Database). Phase 1 of NYSPAD is now “Live”. Pesticide applicator/technician, training courses, training course instructors, course sponsors and certification/recertification exam information can be found at:
This web site is updated in real time so that a change is seen immediately. When a new commercial technician becomes certified, a new training course is approved, or a new exam session is created, they immediately appear on NYSPAD.
Business/agency registration and commercial permit information will be available later this year on NYSPAD. Please stay tuned for more exciting developments coming with our web site! Also, the Pesticide Certification program is going through a LEAN process to streamline and shorten the time required to obtain initial certification and to renew or recertify. This has resulted in new exam registration processes and simplified forms. And we have worked with NYS DMV (who produces our certification ID cards) to shorten the time required to have a certification ID card printed and mailed to applicators.
If you have not already, please join our e-mail Listserv to get future updates on NYSPAD and our LEAN process at:
Click here to view updated EAB information:
- July 11 Energy Workshop CANCELED!
- Celebrating our Partners during 6.9.15 SNAP-Ed Thank You Event: Program Updates
- Don’t forget! Youth Tractor Safety Program Coming Up Soon!
- New Pest Management Information site for people looking for pesticide training, recertification, and exams
- New 2015 EAB Maps & Information